Wednesday 10 April 2013

Type research

I went to the bookshop to do some research into the language and quantity of children's illustration. I wasn't sure about the amount of type expected in children's literature and for what age groups. 



This is a Jacqueline Wilson book designed for children who are just starting to read by themselves. There isn't loads of type and the images fill the majority of the pages. The language used is simple and self explanatory. There are a lot of conversations between characters because this makes it interactive and also interesting if the book is being read to s child.




This is a Francesca Simon story illustrated by Tony Ross. It's similar in the way the image takes up the most of the page and the text is just the accompaniment. There's a lot of conversation in this also. I think both of these examples have a lot of similarities and are probably aimed at children aged 7-10. I don't think I want loads of type in my book, so this was useful to research. 



Babbit is written for younger children and is probably a closer representation of what i'm hoping to create. There's very little type and it's incorporated within the images which I like. I like the variation in the sizing of certain words. I think it gives it quite a playful aspect which is good for a children's book. 

Overall I learnt quite a bit about what is expected when writing a book specifically aimed at children. I think it's important not to over complicate it and to focus mainly on the imagery to speak for itself. 




No comments:

Post a Comment